Feature lead practice #2

A Golden Career of the Circus is Fool's Gold

Narrative

Thomas J. Serle works for Parker Bros. Circus, which is in town this week. Performances are scheduled at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. every day through Sunday, beginning today. Serle, who maintains a home in Fort Lauderdale, is a laborer who helps care for the animals at the circus, including 10 elephants. During a conversation with a reporter, he said: "Some people look on work with a circus as a glamorous job. It ain't. But I been doing it all my life, and it's too late for me to change. I'll be 60 next year. I was born into it. Both my folks were circus people. I started out as an acrobat until I fell and busted a leg. It never healed quite right, so they offered me this job, and I took it. What else could I do? There's all kinds of myths about circuses, like about these elephants here. Some people say they're afraid of mice, but that's crazy. When we pen the elephants up for the winter there's always mice that get in their hay, and it don't bother them none. The elephants never try to run away or stomp them or anything. They share the same cages all winter. And then some people say elephants got a good memory. Hell, some of the ones we got are so dumb they can't remember a simple trick from one year to the next."

Thomas Serle had the job many dreamed of having, being an acrobat for a circus. On an eventful show, Serle did what he always did. 

He grabbed the bar and swung. Whoosh! He felt the wind rush through his hair. The feeling felt longer than normal.  All of a sudden, Serle found himself on the circus floor. He looked behind him and saw his leg... broken! 

He knew he would never be able to feel the wind rush through his hair anymore. After he healed, Serle picked up the broom and started cleaning the elephants cage. In front, he can see the silhouette of the new acrobat making the same jump, landing, and heard the crowd cheering. He sighed, if only he had fought crime instead.

Comments

Popular Posts